Freelancing at Human Made
Join Human Made as a freelancer and you’ll feel like part of the team. You’ll be working on interesting and complex projects, alongside some of the industry's top talent. We’re fully remote, and have been for over 10 years, so you can expect well established ways of working, and a vibrant online culture. It’s no wonder that freelancers often choose to join our team on a more permanent basis.
Once you are qualified, you'll be added to our freelance talent pool and be invited to projects that suit your availability and expertise as soon as they become available, which might not be immediately. Nevertheless, you will integrate as part of the team, so you are expected to join team meetings and activities (although we have a strong emphasis on asynchronous communication) once you start participating in projects.
Senior Project Manager Responsibilities
As a Senior Project Manager you have day-to-day responsibility for supporting the smooth and effective running of any client or internal projects that you are responsible for. To do this you should be able to effectively set up a project, track and report on projects, monitor budgets, carry out risk and issue analysis, and quality assurance. You should have a thorough understanding of the principles and processes of project management and its respective methodologies adopted at Human Made.
We use agile frameworks, but we do have traditional needs in terms of reporting and budgeting - there is a need for adaptation in terms of project delivery.
Supporting the development team
- Support teams delivering large, complex technology/web projects with significant budgets
- Create and maintain a team culture that facilitates a shared responsibility for successful delivery
- Guide team on principles and practice of the agile framework being used in the project
- Work with the team to help define and refine project scope, estimates, and resource requirements for projects
- Prepare and facilitate workshops (either virtual or in-person) to establish project needs and relationships
- Facilitate meetings to monitor project progress and resolve any issues the team may be experiencing
- Remove impediments or guide the team to remove impediments
- Assess the time and financial impact of scope change and communicate to stakeholders as appropriate
Accountability to Human Made
- Be commercially aware: Understand the status of the budget of your projects and be able to report on them back to the company
- Allocation management of project needs in conjunction with regional team/s and allocation manager
Building and Safeguarding Relationships
- Be the hub of communication for the project maintaining regular contact with internal and external stakeholders, and partners engaged in delivery
- Build a partnership relationship with clients, having empathy and sensitivity to their pressures
- Understand the workings and needs of the account you are partnered with
- Develop and maintain positive and functional relationships with the internal project teams, so that people want to work with you
- Communicate regularly; be proactive in facing difficult conversations
- Lead by example, mentor the team, and encourage best practice
- Manage your interactions with clients and internal team professionally, and personably
- Being able to be flexible and adaptive to emergent client and project needs
Striving for Great Work
- Develop creative and technical judgement and strive for high quality output
- Document progress and communicate to internal and external stakeholders
- Conduct team reviews and retrospectives to promote continuous improvement
Human Made is a globally distributed company that helps organisations drive customer engagement, reinforce brand value and improve operations with digital solutions powered by Altis, our WordPress digital experience platform.
Over the past 10+ years, we’ve helped brands such as TechCrunch, CapGemini and USA Today build and deliver their digital strategies, transforming the way people interact with some of the most visited websites in the world. We have deep expertise and investment in using WordPress as a tool to create large-scale platforms, websites, and applications that drive transformational business value.
- Experience in project management models and frameworks and their application to different projects (familiarity and experience with Agile delivery frameworks is desired but not mandatory)
- Experience working in WordPress and/or web development agency environments
- Highly developed skills in servant leadership, facilitation, situational awareness, conflict resolution, continual improvement, empowerment, and increasing transparency
- Experience in using a wide range of project management tools, budget/time tracking tools and issue tracking software such as Jira, Github, Harvest Forecast and others
- Proficiency in written and oral communication in English, and ability to utilise and parse through technical terminology comfortably
Whether you are a freelancer, or a permanent member of the team, we want all Humans to have a fantastic experience, and benefit from Human Made’s people focused approach to work.
- Gain experience working in an agency, without a long term commitment
- Work alongside some of the WordPress industry’s top engineers
- Access to watercooler channels which will open up plenty of opportunities to network with other WordPress peers at Human Made
- The opportunity to explore Human Made with the potential of becoming a full-time employee