We’re looking for a driven, proactive, & exceptional Financial Controller. Reporting to the CFO, the Controller will work to build & scale the Company’s accounting & financial operations as well as design & implement best practices as Coursedog’s resident GAAP expert. This person will be responsible for the development and implementation of the company’s financial controls and accounting policies, maintaining the general ledger, leading the month end close (“MEC”) process, preparing monthly financial statements, and leading financial operations including transactions, tax, treasury, & compliance. To start out, this will largely be a player/coach role w/ access to an existing outsourced bookkeeper firm that would act as an extension of the team and/or other admin team members to augment bandwidth. However over time & when it makes sense operationally, we see this person tasked with recruiting, developing and mentoring an in-house accounting function. As such, our ideal candidate is genuinely interested in owning a healthy mix of both strategic and execution-oriented accounting tasks in the short-term. Compensations includes: starting annual base salary range of $180,000 - $200,000 (based on experience) + discretionary annual cash bonus + competitive equity package.
- Provide accounting leadership in accordance with the overall strategic direction of the Company
- Manage the month end close process & provide monthly financial statements in accordance w/ US GAAP
- Work to drive the understanding of and the effective and timely communication of actual variances from budget, forecast, prior periods, etc.
- Oversee finance operations including A/R, A/P, general ledger, financial reporting, payroll, etc.
- Act as an administrator of ERP system(s) & other accounting software applications; oversee transformational projects to significantly upgrade financial processes & controls, including integrations with other supporting systems
- Ensure a strong system of internal controls is in place & is enhanced as processes change & the business continues to grow & is held to various industry compliance standards (SOC II, etc.)
- Act as the company’s GAAP expert, ensuring compliance with all US financial reporting regulations
- Oversee the Company’s annual financial audit & lead relationships with auditors & tax advisors
- Ensure timely & accurate tax reporting in partnership with external support
- Ensure great working relationships cross-functionally to promote effective communication & support, as well as cooperation in redesigning processes, improving efficiency, and ensuring optimal results
- Identify, communicate, and act on opportunities to clarify & streamline procedures & processes as well as increase efficiency through automation
Skills Knowledge and Expertise
- Bachelor’s or Master’s in Accountancy, Finance, or related degree
- CPA license preferred w/ 10+ years of related experience
- The following are preferred prior experiences:
- Public accounting experience with “Big 4” firm
- Controller or Assistant Controller at a $25-100M ARR PE/VC backed company
- High growth B2B SaaS company w/ material professional services revenue component
- Grit, hustle, and a “get-it-done” attitude -- no task is too big or too small -- with the ability to context switch between strategic thinking, problem solving, & execution related tasks
- Strong technical accounting skills (US GAAP) with demonstrated revenue recognition and consolidation experience + strong knowledge of non-GAAP industry metrics applicable to SaaS companies (CARR, NRR, ect).
- Impeccable attention to detail supported by excellent written & verbal cross-functional communication (with a tendency to over-communicate)
- Excellent knowledge and experience in assessing, developing, and implementing controls and systems, including NetSuite or other ERP migrations
- Motivated self-starter with ownership mentality, a track record of success, & a proven ability to juggle multiple projects/tasks while hitting deadlines
- Proven ability to hire, manage, and mentor high-performing team(s)
Working at Coursedog
- Healthcare: We pay 99% of your medical, dental, and vision coverage and 75% of the premium for your spouse and/or dependents
- Retirement: We offer a 401k plan on day one of your employment
- Paid Time Off: We value work-life balance and provide a high amount of autonomy. In service to this, our Paid Time Off policy has no annual limit
- Remote-First: We value flexible working hours over set hours, results over number of hours, and asynchronous communication focused on transparency over need-to-know access
- Equity: You’ll be contributing to the team's success, so you deserve to share in it — every employee on our team gets a meaningful equity allocation
- Parental Leave: To help support new parents in the workplace, we offer 10 weeks of paid parental leave
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Coursedog is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce at all levels of the organization and creating an inclusive environment for all.
We value and encourage the contributions of our employees and strive to create an environment where everyone can reach their full potential and drive outstanding results. We draw strength from our range of interests, backgrounds, and perspectives
We strongly encourage applicants from all backgrounds to apply.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state, or federal law.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities in all phases of the application and employment process. On your application, you will be prompted to inform us If you need any accommodation during this process.
Our mission is to break down barriers to opportunity for students.
Coursedog provides higher ed with modern technology solutions – empowering institutions, students, and communities across the globe.
Coursedog's founding story is rooted in the desire to help students achieve their highest goals. In 2018, Coursedog's co-founders and then college students, Justin Wenig and Nick Diao, were frustrated by how difficult it was to get into the classes they needed to graduate on time. After speaking with higher education provosts and registrars to better understand how academic scheduling works, they came away with a vision that permeates the company today.
Coursedog has raised $23m in venture capital as a remote-first hyper-growth startup backed by YC & First Round Capital. We were recently ranked in Forbes top 500 US startup employers and our employee engagement scores rank in the top 5% of tech companies. Learn more about who we are here.